Artist to create massive Obama portrait near Barcelona beach


Sorry I have not written in a while. I was very busy with the beginning of the new school year and then I got addicted to reading, commenting on, seeding and writing articles on Newsvine. Have you heard of it? It's a site for discussions about news stories. Part of my addiction has had to do with the hottest topic on Newsvine: the US Presidential race. So, I think I will be able to taper off after November 4th.

Meanwhile, here is an excerpt from a story from CNN that I found on Newsvine:

Artist to create massive Obama portrait near Barcelona beach

"[An] artist plans to create a gigantic face of Obama sculpted from gravel and sand, which will cover nearly 2.5 acres (1 hectare) of Barcelona beachfront before the U.S. elections.

" 'The size of the piece is intrinsic to its value," the artist,
Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada, said Saturday.

"He hopes it will be big enough to be seen on Google Earth.

" 'Obama's personality -- his youth, personal history and message of a new politics -- has fused with the historical moment to create someone larger than life,' says the artist's dossier about the work, titled "Expectation.'

"The huge size also alludes 'to the global impact of this election,' the dossier adds.

"Rodriguez-Gerada, 42, is a Cuban-born American who grew up in North Plainfield, New Jersey, near New York, and now lives in Barcelona."


The project is known as EXPECTATION and the artist is seeking donations from the public to fund it.

I'll let you all know if I come across Senator Obama on the beach!

Chao amig@s,

Carloz

P.S. I use another "nom de plume" on Newsvine, not Carloz. If you happen to look at Newsvine and see some of the "authors," can you guess which one I am?

Post a Comment

0 Comments